My daughter had a severe reaction to a bee sting last week and my husband posted this to everyone
8/10/2017 MUST READ MY Urgent message to all
This past Sunday afternoon, our oldest daughter Jennifer visited us with her husband John. Jennifer went out to the front yard by the fishpond to have a smoke (wearing flip-flops) and was stung by a tiny yellow jacket on her small toe. Within 2 minutes she was having an EXTREME allergic reaction; pain, dizziness, difficulty breathing, loss of awareness, etc. Thank God Cathy had an Epi-Pen because Jennifer had stopped breathing. John and Cathy read the instructions and gave her the injection which got her breathing again. As the EMT’s arrived several minutes later she once again stopped breathing and the EMT’s gave her another Epi-Pen shot and started administering oxygen with, I believe, an antihistamine mist. The EMTs were obviously seriously worried because during the ambulance trip to the hospital they prepared Jennifer for the electric paddles, just in case. For the first 5-6 hours in the hospital intensive care ER unit Jennifer was totally out of it, shaking like a leaf, trying to rip off the oxygen mask and pull out the IV that the ambulance EMTs put directly into the side of her neck. Note that a number of years ago Jennifer had been stung by bees and bitten by a wasp, you would think that she would not be allergic … WRONG!!
After many hours in the ER and numerous tests including a CAT Scan they released Jennifer Monday with a laundry list of symptoms to be on the lookout for, during the next few days. The discharge nurse also advised that this trauma did damage to her heart comparable to a minor heart attack
A number of these symptoms appeared Tuesday afternoon and John took her to the ER where they again performed various tests including another CAT Scan. Jennifer was released Wednesday with 4 different prescriptions to combat the remaining symptoms.
My message to all HAVE AN EPI-PEN AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW.
Without the Epi-Pen Jennifer would probably not have survived.